There’s usually never a good time for your water heater to breakdown. Afterall, no one wants to shower or do dishes in cold water. When your water heater does malfunction, call Cooper's Plumbing & Air. Servicing the Tallahassee, FL area for more than a decade, our water heater contractors will fix your unit quickly and accurately.
Are your drains slow? Learn how professional drain cleaning services can benefit you.
What Are Common Water Heater Problems?
Like all appliances, your might occasionally encounter issues with your hot water heater. Some problems might include:
- Lack of hot water: The most obvious issue with your water heater is a lack of hot water. For gas-powered units, this can be caused by an extinguished pilot light which can be relit. It could also be caused by a larger issue - such as a damaged heating element that could need to be replaced. A professional can inspect the unit and diagnose the issue.
- Leaking: If you notice a leak coming from your hot water heater, you should have it inspected by a contractor to determine if the unit can be repaired or if it should be replaced.
- Excess noise: Loud or unusual noises coming from your water heater can be due to a buildup of sediment. You should have a professional inspect the unit to remove the buildup.
- Cracks: Water heater contractors should inspect your unit to look for and repair cracks.
What Happens During a Water Heater Tune-up?
When you call a water heater contractor, there are certain tasks that he or she will perform during a routine tune-up. You can expect a professional to perform the following services:
- Drain the basin and remove any buildup of sediment. This can create a variety of issues if not done regularly.
- Inspect the inside and outside of the unit for hairline cracks or signs of aging. These can cause more extreme problems at a later time.
- Check for any cracks in the hoses.
- Inspect and change your filters when needed. This can help keep your water heater functioning properly.
- Determine if the unit is operating at maximum efficiency. If the unit isn’t functioning properly it will work too hard to perform as needed.
When you have a clogged toilet seek professional help as soon as possible to avoid damage to your home.
How Long Do Hot Water Heaters Last?
There is no guarantee how long any appliance will last -- including hot water heaters. Every make and model is different, which means there’s no set lifespan per unit. It is estimated that most electric water heaters will last from 10 to 20 years, assuming the unit receives proper care. Gas-powered water heaters can have a shorter lifespan than electric models.