Garbage disposals are convenient appliances in your kitchen, until they stop working. Then they can become a nuisance that causes your sink to back up and your drain to smell. When your kitchen plumbing starts to malfunction, you need experienced plumbers to fix the problem. With more than a decade of experience, Cooper’s Plumbing & Air provides service to the Tallahassee, FL area.
Is your plumbing system malfunctioning? We provide expert plumbing services - call today for service!
Common Garbage Disposal Problems
While garbage disposals are great when they function, like all appliances, occasionally they will need to be repaired. Some common problems you might encounter with the disposals include:
- Jams: When inappropriate items -- like high-fiber vegetables such as corn husks and carrots -- are placed in the disposal it can create a jam. A plumber should inspect the issue and remove the blockage.
- Clogs: When clogs occur, let professionals take apart the disposal to remove the blockage.
- Loss of power: If you flip the switch and your unit doesn’t start, it can be due to a disrupted or faulty connection. Plumbers will be able to inspect the issue and repair it.
- Noise: Loud or unusual noises coming from the unit can indicate the presence of metal or hard plastic objects in the appliance
- Leaking disposal: Leaky units can typically be repaired by a plumber by tightening a loose screw or gasket.
How to Determine if You Should Repair or Replace Your Disposal
When your garbage disposal malfunctions, it can be difficult to determine if the unit can be repaired or if it should be replaced. While a plumber can help you make the decision, some items that can influence your choice may include:
- Extent of damage: Some problems, like a clogged pipe or wiring that needs to be reconnected, can be easily repaired. However, if there are more major problems, it can be more cost-effective to replace the unit.
- Availability of parts: If you have an older unit, it can be more difficult to locate parts, such as bearings and blades.
- Frequent repairs: If your unit requires frequent repairs it can be more cost-effective to replace the unit with a newer model.
Are there odors coming from your drains? Ask us about our drain cleaning services.
Garbage Disposal Maintenance Tips
To keep your garbage disposal functioning properly, it’s important to perform proper maintenance. Following these tips can help prolong the life expectancy of your unit:
- Avoid putting hard food items like corn husks and chicken bones down the disposal.
- Don’t put starchy foods, like potatoes, in the disposal.
- When using the system, run water into the disposal and keep it running for a few seconds after the disposal has been turned off.
- To keep the blades sharp, grind ice in the disposal weekly.
- Clean your disposal with baking soda, vinegar, and water.
- Freshen your disposal with lemons.