A burst pipe is a plumbing emergency. It can cause a substantial amount of water to seep into your home, damaging the walls, insulation and even the electrical wiring. Eventually, this can cause mold and mildew to form. That’s why when you have a burst pipe, you need an experienced plumbing company to repair the damage -- and fast! In business for more than a decade, Cooper’s Plumbing & Air has the experience and expertise to repair your burst or frozen pipes in the Tallahassee, FL area.
When you have a plumbing, heating or AC emergency, you need help immediately. Learn about our 24-hour emergency services.
What Causes of Pipes to Burst?
Burst pipes can create a plumbing emergency that needs to be fixed ASAP. This issue can cause a lot of damage to your home -- and quickly. See how these problems are caused in hopes that you can avoid this plumbing emergency in the future:
- Freezing temperatures: When temperatures dip below freezing, water inside the pipes can freeze and expand until they eventually burst.
- Major clogs: A major clog or blockage in a pipe can cause water pressure to build up.
- Aging pipes: As pipes age they can corrode and crack.
- Tree roots: Tree roots can infiltrate your pipes and cause damage.
- Earth Shift: A shift in the earth can cause pipes to burst.
- Construction: Construction projects near your home can damage pipes.
How to Prevent Burst Pipes
Burst pipes can wreak havoc on your home. Fortunately, there are ways to prevent the issue from happening before it occurs. Follow these tips to prevent burst pipes:
- Properly insulate your pipes during colder weather, or use a heat wrap, to avoid freezing.
- When cold weather hits, run a trickle of water in your sink to promote a constant flow.
- Call a professional if you notice reduced water pressure in your property.
- Watch for signs of leaks inside your property.
- Have your pipes inspected by a professional.
- Have aging pipes replaced by a professional.
- Schedule routine drain cleanings to remove buildup in your pipes.
Not sure if you have a water leak? Learn about our water leak detection services.
How Professionals Repair Burst Pipes
When a pipe bursts, you need professional help immediately to resolve the issue and limit the water damage. When arriving at your property, an expert will perform the following tasks:
- Shut off the water supply.
- Locate the damaged area.
- Assess the damage and determine if they can replace a section of the pipe or if the whole system needs to be replaced.
- Repair the burst section using a pipe cutter and solder a new section in place.
- Determine if more than one pipe is deteriorating and if the problem is more severe. If so, a whole-house repipe may be suggested.